ICT solutions for sustainable lifestyles
This workshop is organized by the World Resources Forum (the global science-based platform for sharing knowledge about global resource use), ITU (the International Telecommunication Union, the United Nations specialized agency for Information and communication technology), GeSI (a strategic partnership of the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) sector and organisations committed to creating and promoting technologies and practices that promote sustainability), and Hewlett-Packard (the world’s largest technology company for solutions in printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure).
The purpose of the workshop is to create dialogue on the role of information and communication technology (ICT) in enabling sustainable lifestyles among stakeholders ranging from social scientists to industry and policy-makers. This workshop will showcase promising ICT solutions helping consumers to be more sustainable and resource-efficient.
Workshop will be moderated by Bas de Leeuw, Managing Director of WRF.
14:00-15:30: Session 1- Keynote speeches
Keynote speakers will introduce the topic of how ICT can enable sustainable lifestyles from different points of view, highlighting the role that standards, regulations and public policies play to move from proof of concept to mainstream implementation.
- Opening by Bas de Leeuw, Managing Director, WRF
- Keynote by Flavio Cucchietti, Vice Chairman of ITU-T Study Group 5, ITU Slides
- Keynote by Luis Neves, Chairman, GeSI (by Alice Valvodova) Slides
- Keynote by Heinz Gutscher Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of Social Psychology, University of Zürich Slides
- Keynote by John A. “Skip” Laitner, Principal, Economic and Human Dimensions Research Associates, and Senior Fellow, American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) Slides
16:00-16:30: Session 2- ICT solutions industry panel
Presentations of innovative ICT solutions for sustainable lifestyles by representatives of the ICT sector and other stakeholders.
- e-Education: Sibylle Rock, Worldwide Stakeholder Engagement Manager Environment & Education, HP Slides
- e-Health: Heinz-Gerd Peters, Senior Expert Group Corporate Responsibility, Deutsche Telekom
- Smart metering: Fabian Etter, Head of Corporate Responsibility, Swisscom Slide
- Cloud computing: Dan Williams, Environmental Sustainability Research Manager, Microsoft Slide
- Intelligent transport: Ursula Mathar, Head of Sustainability and Environmental Protection, BMW Group (tbc)
- The enabling effect of ICT: Ulrike Vott, Nokia Regional Sustainability Manager MEA, Slides
16:30-17:30: Session 3- Interactive visioning
Interactive group discussions on how ICT can enable sustainable lifestyles in the present and the future, the way forward for mainstreaming ICT solutions.
17:30: Closing remarks and next steps
The key conclusions of the day and the next steps including setting the agenda for WRF Davos, 6-9 October 2013.
The organisers will prepare a short report with the outcomes of the workshop and make it available to all workshop participants shortly after the conference.